Removal Of Sanusi As Emir of Kano, presidency reacts
The Presidency has broken silence after following controversial removal of Muhammed Sanusi II as the Emir. Presidency furthermore maintained that sitting governors could exercise powers to the royal institutions within their jurisdiction.
Recollect that on Monday that Sanusi was unanimously oust as Emir of kano by the Kano State Government presided by Governor Umar Ganduje, who quickly announced a substitute for the former Governor of the Central Bank As the Emir of kano.
However, one of Sanusi’s senior lawyers, Abubakar Mahmoud (SAN), said the dethronement was changeable. A Presidential aide, Tolu Ogunlesi reacting on Tuesday said:
“A sitting governor can dethrone anybody – they have the power. That is the way the system is set up. Nobody is above being dethroned. Governors formally appoint them, present them the staff of office and fund their offices”.
He further explained that governors have veto powers over monarchs in their states citing Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State, who“paraded Rivers traditional rulers recently and addressed them like a kindergarten class”, adding; “that is the power a governor has over royal institutions. Every governor.
It actually didn’t start today, it has been so for a long long time”. The Special Assistant to the President on New Media further stated that the dethronement of a monarch in the capacity of the Emir of Kano was not new, adding that Sanusi’s fate was not only peculiar to the northern part of the country.
“British deposed Obas of Lagos/Benin 1851/1897; Alake temporarily deposed by 1948 women’s riots; Awo deposed Alaafin 1955; Olowo deposed 1966; Edo Milad tried to remove Oba of Benin as Chair, State Trad Rulers Council 1999; Deji of Akure deposed 2010,” Ogunlesi said in a flurry of tweets.
Updated on March 10, 2020 at 10:21 AM and categorized under Today News Updates
- Sanusi Lamido named Chancellor Of Kaduna State University by Governor El-Rufai
- President Buhari Finally Speaks On Removal Of Emir Sanusi
- Emir of Kano: Nelson Mandela’s Third Wife, Graca Machel Writes Sanusi
- Kano State former Governor, Kwankwaso Reveals Identity of Top Politician Behind Sanusi’s Removal
- News Update: Here are photos of A two-bedroom apartment where Sanusi will reside in
- Do You Know The Profile Of The New Emir Of Kano Aminu Ado Bayero? Find out
- ECOWAS Orders Nigeria Government to Pay Dismissed Soldier
- FG prohibits the buying of non-essential official vehicle.
- Governor Ifeanyi Okowa and Wife on self – isolation as daughter test positive for Coronavirus
- Police Arrests Step-Mother in Katsina for Murder
- Lagos State – Implementation of Community policing.
- World Bank Endorsed Money for Power in Nigeria
- Culprits arrested over the demolition of Nigeria High Commission in Ghana
- Ghanaian President apologises over the destruction of Nigeria High commission.
- FG present school reopening procedures to National Assembly
- Police can’t be everywhere- IGP
- APC National Secretariat seal off by police
- Jim Nwobodo – 2023 Presidency for Ndigbo
- Federal High Court stops Obaseki from participating in PDP Governorship Primary
- 78-Years- Old Mother of Oby Ezekwesili dies
- NCDC Chikwe Ihekweazu – No State is Convid-19 free